One of my favorite things to do while traveling is to taste all of the local flavors. Here at Vista Celestial we grow all of the fruit, vegetables and herbs used in our restaurant to ensure the freshest organic produce possible. We use only the best ingredients around and the intense flavors really come through in the food. Below is the recipe to one of my favorite deserts here at Vista Celestial. If cooking is not your thing, you can always hop on the next plane and come here in person to give it a taste. We look forward to meeting you.
Dessert Tropical fruit flan – Serves 12
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup blended tropical fruit of choice ( pineapples, mangos, star fruit, passion fruit )
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ sliced pineapple, mangos, star fruit, passion fruit or other tropical fruit for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the sugar in a nonstick skillet, and slowly melt over low heat without stirring. Shake the pan by its handle to mix, but do not stir with a spoon. When the sugar has melted, pour into a 3 quart glass baking dish, coating the bottom.
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour in the condensed milk, evaporated milk, coconut milk, whole milk, orange juice, blended tropical fruit, and vanilla; mix until well blended, about 2 minutes. Pour the egg mixture over the sugar in the pan. Place the pan inside of a larger dish and set in the oven. Fill the outer pan with water to 1 inch deep.
4. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the flan from the water bath, and refrigerate until cold, 4 hours to overnight. Cover with shredded coconut & garnish with a slice of your tropical fruit of choice.
5. To serve, run a knife around the edges of the dish to loosen the flan, then invert onto a serving dish.
6. Cut into desired portions and ENJOY!